Call me old school, call me a prude, but lately I have felt like what in the heck has happened to women? At a certain time it seemed that we had it all together, getting college degrees, excercising our comfort in our own bodies, meeting the right men, but then something happened. Maybe it was ratchet reality TV or something, but I feel that certain etiquette and just classiness that women used to have has gone out of the window. Call it feminism if you want to, but that is not a cover up to be out here wild and not having an idea of how to conduct yourself.
I took the time to put together a few tidbits that I wanted to share about a few things that bother me. In my estimation these are just some things that have gotten lost in the fold of folks trying to be cool or liberated or something. These tips below may not be for you, but in the event that they aren’t share it with a lost friend or cousin, we all have them. They are pretty random and not in any particular order.
- When speaking to a male that’s with a female companion, you acknowledge their companion in addition to your acquaintance. Believe me it will go a lot farther than you acting super familiar and friendly with the male and giving the woman they’re with the cold shoulder. Even if it's not his girlfriend or wife, it's just kind.
- Know that if you buy dresses from cheap stores that you can probably see through them. Cheap dresses don’t have lining, buy a slip, please.
- Speaking of undergarments, if you are wearing body form anything that you don’t have the body for, invest in spanks. On that same note turn around at least once in a full length mirror to see what your underwear look like underneath your clothing. Please. If you can see your underwear in any capacity, the outline, the print; they are probably the wrong ones.
- STOP trying to steal other women’s men. The reality is, if someone did it to you, you would be heart broken. And you are competing for a man that has proven he is capable of being unfaithful. No one cares if you think you are better in the bed than his wife, half the time, it won’t even be his intention to leave his wife and in the event that he does, it won’t be long before someone is proving that they are better than you. Besides when did being second best become acceptable?
- Know that our beauty can CO-EXIST. Just because you think that you are beautiful and God’s gift to the Earth does not mean that you have to constantly be in competition with the next woman. We can all be beautiful in our own right. It is okay, I promise; there are enough men on this Earth if that is your fear. Which determining your value based on the affections of a man is a whole blog post in itself.
- Being smart is sexy! I don’t know where we got it twisted; thinking that the only way to be sexy is to have your behind tooted in the air for an Instagram photo. It’s not. A confident, intelligent woman is sexy. It is okay to take pride in and be comfortable in your body, BUT believe me; a little mystery will help you not hurt you.
- Everyone is not a celebrity. So trying to wear the clothes, weaves, and eyelashes that celebrities wear is just not working. Let Nicki Minaj be the example. The second she toned her look DOWN, she became irresistible. Sometimes less really is more. Let your light shine, don’t put on so much armor that it dims your light.
- What happened to speaking like a lady? I’m sorry but we have filthy mouths. Clean it up. It’s not cute to speak like a sailor. Clean it up and bring it down a few decibels while you’re at it. And fighting is not cute. Stop it. You look crazy and I am sooo tired of seeing videos of women fighting.
There are so many influences on us today that try to make certain behavior acceptable. Just because it's the norm, does not mean that it's how we are supposed to act. Remember class will never go out of style and I just hope that a lot of the rampant behavior I see on the daily basis is simply a fad.